Friday, December 16, 2011

Head Man on the Farm

At the beginning of the New Year sixteen year old Francis writes to his brother about how he is ‘head man’ at the farm at Overton.


Overton Gower
January 6th 1879

My dear brother

I am quite well and I hope you are the same. I have had a very hard time of it to day almost enough to make me wish myself back to school again owing to Silvanus is very bad in his legs and he is obliged to stay in bed and the servant boy went home this morning very bad and I have just returned from being after medicine.  Jane and Father have also been very poorly but are getting better now.  So you see that I am head man just now.  I do not think that I am going back to school.  Mother was into Swansea last Saturday to look out for a place for me but she failed to get one.  Mr Jenkins cant take me until March but I hope to get a birth before then.  Mother says that we are going to send the box on Wednesday from Killay station so you may look out for it.  I have got no more news to tell now.  So long

                   From
                             Your affectionate
                                      brother
                                                F.J. Bevan




A modern view across Overton Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment